Saturday, September 20, 2014

Blog #4 Using and Reporting Standardized Test Results

The two main concepts the book talks about in this chapter are the norm-referenced test and the criterion-referenced test.  In this chapter it talks about how to analyze the information gathered from the test scores and then how to improve curriculum and instruction.  It also describes the differences between the two tests.   Both tests are important and I feel that I will be using both in my classroom.  The norm-referenced tests could be used in preschool or primary grades.  Norm-referenced test are used to measure achievement and this is important to know where your student is and whether or not they are grasping the content. 

The criterion-referenced tests are used more for developmental screening and diagnostic evaluation.  An example of how I would use a criterion-referenced test in my classroom would be the DIBELS.  Last semester in Fair Play I used the DIBEL test to examine literacy in one of the third graders in my classroom.  It really gave me a good picture of where that student was in her fluency, story retelling and general idea of how her reading skills were.  The Early Screening Inventory would be a great screening tool that I could use in my classroom if I was to teach Kindergarten.   This test really helps the teacher to know whether or not they are ready to move on to the first grade and if they grasp all the content learned in Kindergarten. I feel that I would use the criterion-referenced tests more than the norm-referenced test because the norm-referenced is more the performance of one student compared to another student.  The criterion-referenced test is more the performance of one student. 


One of my questions is how would I really use the norm-referenced tests in my classroom as a kindergarten or first grade teacher?  When reading about how to interpret the test scores I wondered when we assess our children will we need to figure the bell-shaped findings? or will that be figured for us.  I mean do we send the test in and does the state grade and determine where each student is?  My final question when reading this chapter was, how often and when exactly do we assess our students?

No comments:

Post a Comment